If you’re considering replacing your missing teeth with dental implants, you might ask the question, “Are dental implants safe?”
After all, getting a dental implant does require surgery, and most surgeries come with potential risks.
But we are here to tell you:
Dental implants are absolutely safe!
At Shoreline Dental, we place your safety and comfort at the top of our priorities. That’s why we can confidently say dental implants are safe.
In fact, dental implants have a 98% success rate! Why is that?
Let’s find out! In this blog, we’ll dive into all things dental implants so you can understand why dental implant surgery is highly recommended by dentists and how it has such a high success rate.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is the #1 recommended solution to replace missing teeth permanently.
Not only does it replace your entire missing tooth from root to crown, but it also looks and feels like a natural tooth. No one will notice you have a dental implant.
Here are the three main components of dental implants in Shoreline, WA:
- Post: This small post is surgically placed within your jawbone. Once healed (typically within three to six months), it will act in place of your natural tooth root.
- Abutment: This acts as a connector between your crown and post. It will provide a secure foundation for your new tooth.
- Crown: Your custom-designed tooth will look and feel like your surrounding teeth for a seamless finish.
Among the many benefits of a dental implant, dental implants are widely recommended by dentists and patients alike for its high success rate.
According to Opens new tab to WebMD websiteWebMD, dental implants generally have a success rate of 98%.
That’s one of the highest surgical success rates! How is this possible?
The success of dental implants
First, dental implants are not a new, untested procedure. Dentists have been performing dental implant surgery for decades!
Dental implants are a very predictable and safe dental procedure – and it continues to evolve with advanced technology and techniques.
Another factor in the success of a dental implant is getting it done by a trained and experienced dental professional like our Shoreline dentist, Dr. Princeton Co.
Seeking an experienced dental implant dentist can greatly reduce your risk for potential surgery-related problems and better your success rate.
Our dentist in Shoreline maintains a high dental implant success rate by:
- Providing a comprehensive consultation: Dr. Co will use modern technology to evaluate your candidacy for dental implant surgery and ensure this is the best treatment option for you.
- Offering the best: Dr. Co maintains active dental memberships and continues his education annually to continuously provide you with the newest and most innovative dental care possible.
- Prioritizing your comfort: Our Shoreline Dental team places an emphasis on fear-free dentistry by providing pain-free dental treatments in a relaxing atmosphere.
With dental implants, Dr. Co has successfully restored the smiles of numerous patients in the Greater Seattle Area, including Shoreline, Edmonds, Mountlake Terrance, Lake Forest Park, Brier, Kenmore, Bothell, and surrounding areas.
Are you next? Contact us today to schedule a dental implants consultation.
Are there risks in getting dental implants?
As with all surgeries, there are some Opens new tab to Healthline websitepotential health risks, which could include:
- Injury or damage to surrounding structures
- Nerve or tissue damage
- Sinus problems
- Insufficient bone structure
- Allergic reaction
However, rest assured, dental implants have almost a 100% success rate, and these problems are very rare.
What makes a good candidate for dental implants?
Typically, there are three key factors when determining if you are a good candidate for dental implants. Those include:
- Age: If you’re too young, getting a dental implant may not be viable yet because you are still growing and developing. Dental implants are most successful when your facial growth is complete. This is typically around the age of 16 for girls and 18 for boys. If you or your child are too young for dental implants, don’t worry! Dr. Co can work with you to find an interim solution.
- Health: Generally speaking, if you can receive other dental procedures, then getting a dental implant should not be a problem. But to be safe, Dr. Co will review your medical history, medications, and current state of health. If there are any areas of concern, he will share those with you and discuss possible solutions.
- Bone structure: When you lose a tooth, the surrounding bone structure begins to deteriorate. If you don’t have enough bone structure to support a dental implant, the post cannot successfully fuse and create a stable root for your tooth. In this case, Dr. Co will often recommend a bone graft or similar procedure to restore your bone structure and make you an eligible dental implants candidate.
But the best way to find out if you are a good candidate for dental implants is to schedule a consultation. Every smile is unique, which is why Dr. Co evaluates every patient on a case-by-case basis.
Are dental implants worth it?
To answer the questions, “Are dental implants safe?” and “Are dental implants worth it?”
We say, “YES!”
Dental implants have a 98% success rate, and with Dr. Co’s expertise, you can trust your smile will be restored with the highest quality of care.
Isn’t it time you found out what dental implants could do for you? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Co today: